1. Plan. This Eagle Materials Inc. Incentive Plan (the “Plan”) constitutes an amendment and restatement in its entirety of the Centex Construction Products, Inc. Incentive Plan originally effective January 8, 2004, as thereafter amended (the “Existing Plan”). The Existing Plan was a combined amendment and restatement of the Centex Construction Products, Inc. Amended and Restated Stock Option Plan and the Centex Construction Products, Inc. 2000 Stock Option Plan (the “Prior Plans”) which were adopted by the Corporation to reward certain key Employees of the Corporation and its Affiliates and Nonemployee Directors of the Corporation by enabling them to acquire shares of Common Stock of the Corporation.
2. Objectives. The purpose of this Plan is to further the interests of the Corporation and its shareholders by providing incentives in the form of Awards to key Employees and Nonemployee Directors who can contribute materially to the success and profitability of the Corporation and its Affiliates. Such Awards will recognize and reward outstanding performances and individual contributions and give Participants in the Plan an interest in the Corporation parallel to that of the shareholders, thus enhancing the proprietary and personal interest of such Participants in the Corporation’s continued success and progress. This Plan will also enable the Corporation and its Affiliates to attract and retain such Employees and Nonemployee Directors.
3. Definitions. As used herein, the terms set forth below shall have the following respective meanings:
“Affiliate” means a Subsidiary or Joint Venture.
“Authorized Officer” means the Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation (or any other senior officer of the Corporation to whom he or she shall delegate the authority to execute any Award Agreement, where applicable).
means an Employee Award or a
“Award Agreement” means a written agreement setting forth the terms, conditions and limitations applicable to an Award, to the extent the Committee determines such agreement is necessary.
“Board” means the Board of Directors of the Corporation.
“Cash Award” means an award denominated in cash.
“Class A Common Stock” means the Class A Common Stock, par value $.01 per share, of Eagle Materials Inc.
“Class B Common Stock” means the Class B Common Stock, par value $.01 per share, of Eagle Materials Inc.
“Code” means the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended from time to time.
“Committee” means the independent Compensation Committee of the Board as is designated by the Board to administer the Plan.
“Common Stock” means Class A Common Stock and/or Class B Common Stock, as appropriate.
means Eagle Materials Inc., a
“Director” means an individual who is a member of the Board.
“Disability” means a disability that renders the Participant unable to engage in any occupation in accordance with the terms of the Long Term Disability Plan of Eagle Materials Inc.
“Dividend Equivalents” means, with respect to Stock Units or shares of Restricted Stock that are to be issued at the end of the Restriction Period, an amount equal to all dividends and other distributions (or the economic equivalent thereof) that are payable to stockholders of record during the Restriction Period on a like number of shares of Common Stock.
“Employee” means an employee of the Corporation or any of its Affiliates and an individual who has agreed to become an Employee of the Corporation or any of its Affiliates and actually becomes such an Employee within the following six months.
“Employee Award” means any Option, SAR, Stock Award, Cash Award, or Performance Award granted, whether singly, in combination or in tandem, to a Participant who is an Employee pursuant to such applicable terms, conditions and limitations (including treatment as a Performance Award) as the Committee may establish in order to fulfill the objectives of the Plan.
“Employee Director” means an individual serving as a member of the Board who is an Employee of the Corporation or any of its Affiliates.
“Equity Award” means any Option, SAR, Stock Award, or Performance Award (other than a Performance Award denominated in cash) granted to a Participant under the Plan.
“Exchange Act” means the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended.
“Fair Market Value” of a share of Common Stock means, as of a particular date, (i) (A) if Common Stock is listed on a national securities exchange, the mean between the highest and lowest sales price per share of the Common Stock on the consolidated transaction reporting system for the principal national securities exchange on which shares of Common Stock are listed on that date, or, if there shall have been no such sale so reported on that date, on
the last preceding date on which such a sale was so reported, or, at the discretion of the Committee, the price prevailing on the exchange at the time of exercise, (B) the mean between the highest and lowest sales price per share of such Common Stock reported on the consolidated transaction reporting system for The Nasdaq Stock Market, Inc. or, if there shall have been no such sale so reported on that date, on the last preceding date on which such a sale was reported, (C) if Common Stock is not so listed or quoted, the mean between the closing bid and asked price on that date, or, if there are no quotations available for such date, on the last preceding date on which such quotations shall be available, as reported by The Nasdaq Stock Market, Inc., or, if not reported by The Nasdaq Stock Market, Inc., by the National Quotation Bureau Incorporated or (D) if Common Stock is not publicly traded, the most recent value determined by an independent appraiser appointed by the Corporation for such purpose, or (ii) if applicable, the price per share as determined in accordance with the procedures of a third party administrator retained by the Corporation to administer the Plan.
“Incentive Stock Option” means an Option that is intended to comply with the requirements set forth in Section 422 of the Code.
“Joint Venture” means any joint venture or partnership in which the Corporation has at least 50% ownership, voting, capital or profit interests (in whatever form) and which is a subsidiary of the Corporation within the meaning of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended.
“Nonemployee Director” means an individual serving as a member of the Board who is not an Employee of the Corporation or any of its Affiliates.
“Nonqualified Stock Option” means an Option that is not an Incentive Stock Option.
means a right to purchase a specified number of shares of that class of Common
Stock at a specified
“Participant” means an Employee or Nonemployee Director to whom an Award has been granted under this Plan.
“Performance Award” means an Award made pursuant to this Plan that is subject to the attainment in the future of one or more Performance Goals.
“Performance Goal” means a standard established by the Committee, to determine in whole or in part whether a Qualified Performance Award shall be earned.
“Qualified Performance Award” means a Performance Award made to a Participant who is an Employee that is intended to qualify as qualified performance-based compensation under Section 162(m) of the Code, as described in Section 8(a)(v)(B) of the Plan.
“Restricted Stock” means Common Stock that is restricted or subject to forfeiture provisions.
“Restriction Period” means a period of time beginning as of the Grant Date of an Award of Restricted Stock and ending as of the date upon which the Common Stock subject to such Award is no longer restricted or subject to forfeiture provisions.
“Stock Appreciation Right” or “SAR” means a right to receive a payment, in cash, Common Stock or a combination of cash and Common Stock, equal to the excess of the Fair Market Value or other specified valuation of a specified number of shares of that class of Common Stock on the date the right is exercised over a specified Grant Price, in each case, as determined by the Committee.
“Stock Award” means an Award in the form of shares of Common Stock or Stock Units, including an award of Restricted Stock.
“Stock Unit” means a unit evidencing the right to receive in specified circumstances one share of Common Stock (as determined by the Committee) granted to either an Employee or a Nonemployee Director.
“Subsidiary” means any corporation, partnership, limited liability company or other business venture or entity of which the Corporation directly or indirectly owns 50% or more of the ownership interest in such entity, as determined by the Committee in its sole and absolute discretion (such determination by the Committee to be conclusively established by the grant of an Award by the Committee to an officer or employee of such an entity).
(a) Employees. Employees eligible for the grant of Employee Awards under this Plan are those Employee Directors and Employees who hold positions of responsibility and whose performance, in the judgment of the Committee, can have a significant effect on the success of the Corporation and its Affiliates.
(b) Directors. Members of the Board eligible for the grant of Director Awards under this Plan are those who are Nonemployee Directors.
5. Common Stock Available for Awards. Subject to the provisions of paragraph 16 hereof, there shall be available for Awards under this Plan granted or payable wholly or partly in Common Stock (including rights or Options that may be exercised for or settled in Common Stock) an aggregate of 1,875,000 shares (which includes shares of Common Stock subject to awards outstanding under the Existing Plans) less those shares issued after the date of Board approval of the Plan and before shareholder approval of the Plan pursuant to outstanding grants. All of the shares authorized for issuance may be issued pursuant to Incentive Options,
Nonqualified Stock Options or any combination thereof. All shares are available for issuance pursuant to Stock Awards (including Stock Awards that are granted as Performance Awards).
The number of shares of Common Stock that are the subject of Awards under this Plan that are forfeited or terminated, expire unexercised, are settled in cash in lieu of Common Stock or otherwise in a manner such that all or some of the shares covered by an Award are not issued to a Participant or are exchanged for Awards that do not involve Common Stock, shall not be counted against the aggregate plan maximum or any sublimit set forth above and shall again immediately become available for Awards hereunder. If the tax withholding obligation resulting from the settlement of any Award is satisfied by withholding shares of Common Stock, only the number of shares of Common Stock issued net of the shares of Common Stock withheld shall be deemed delivered for purposes of determining usage of shares against the maximum number of shares of Common Stock available for delivery under the Plan or any sublimit set forth above. Shares of Common Stock delivered under the Plan as an Award or in settlement of an Award issued or made (a) upon the assumption, substitution, conversion or replacement of outstanding awards under a plan or arrangement of an entity acquired in a merger or other acquisition or (b) as a post-transaction grant under such a plan or arrangement of an acquired entity shall not reduce or be counted against the maximum number of shares of Common Stock available for delivery under the Plan, to the extent that the exemption for transactions in connection with mergers acquisitions from the shareholder approval requirements of the New York Stock Exchange for equity compensation plans applies. The Committee may from time to time adopt and observe such rules and procedures concerning the counting of shares against the Plan maximum or any sublimit as it may deem appropriate, including rules more restrictive than those set forth above to the extent necessary to satisfy the requirements of any national stock exchange on which the Common Stock is listed or any applicable regulatory requirement. The Board and the appropriate officers of the Corporation are authorized to take from time to time whatever actions are necessary, and to file any required documents with governmental authorities, stock exchanges and transaction reporting systems to ensure that shares of Common Stock are available for issuance pursuant to Awards.
(a) This Plan shall be administered by the Committee except as otherwise provided herein.
(b) Subject to the provisions hereof, the Committee shall have full and exclusive power and authority to administer this Plan and to take all actions that are specifically contemplated hereby or are necessary or appropriate in connection with the administration hereof. The Committee shall also have full and exclusive power to interpret this Plan and to adopt such rules, regulations and guidelines for carrying out this Plan as it may deem necessary or proper, all of which powers shall be exercised in the best interests of the Corporation and in keeping with the objectives of this Plan. The Committee may, in its discretion, provide for the extension of the exercisability of an Award, accelerate the vesting or exercisability of an Award, eliminate or make less restrictive any restrictions applicable to an Award, waive any restriction or other provision of this Plan (insofar as such provision relates to Awards) or an Award or otherwise amend or modify an Award in any manner that is either (i) not adverse to the
Participant to whom such Award was granted or (ii) consented to by such Participant. Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, without the prior approval of the Corporation’s stockholders, Options issued under the Plan will not be repriced, replaced or regranted through cancellation or by decreasing the exercise price of a previously granted Option. The Committee may make an Award to an individual who it expects to become an Employee of the Corporation or any of its Affiliates within the next six months, with such award being subject to the individual’s actually becoming an Employee within such time period, and subject to such other terms and conditions as may be established by the Committee. The Committee may correct any defect or supply any omission or reconcile any inconsistency in this Plan or in any Award in the manner and to the extent the Committee deems necessary or desirable to further the Plan purposes. Any decision of the Committee, with respect to Awards, in the interpretation and administration of this Plan shall lie within its sole and absolute discretion and shall be final, conclusive and binding on all parties concerned.
(c) No member of the Committee or officer of the Corporation to whom the Committee has delegated authority in accordance with the provisions of paragraph 7 of this Plan shall be liable for anything done or omitted to be done by him or her, by any member of the Committee or by any officer of the Corporation in connection with the performance of any duties under this Plan, except for his or her own willful misconduct or as expressly provided by statute.
7. Delegation of Authority. Following the authorization of a pool of cash or shares of Common Stock to be available for Awards, the Committee may authorize the Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation or a committee consisting solely of members of the Board to grant individual Employee Awards from such pool pursuant to such conditions or limitations as the Committee may establish. The Committee may also delegate to the Chief Executive Officer and to other executive officers of the Corporation its administrative duties under this Plan (excluding its granting authority) pursuant to such conditions or limitations as the Committee may establish. The Committee may engage or authorize the engagement of a third party administrator to carry out administrative functions under the Plan.
(a) The Committee shall determine the type or types of Awards to be made under this Plan and shall designate from time to time the Participants who are to be the recipients of such Awards. Each Award may, in the discretion of the Committee, be embodied in an Award Agreement, which shall contain such terms, conditions and limitations as shall be determined by the Committee in its sole discretion and, if required by the Committee, shall be signed by the Participant to whom the Award is granted and by an Authorized Officer for and on behalf of the Corporation. Awards may consist of those listed in this paragraph 8(a) and may be granted singly, in combination or in tandem. Awards may also be granted in combination or in tandem with, in replacement of (subject to paragraph 14), or as alternatives to, grants or rights under this Plan or any other plan of the Corporation or any of its Affiliates, including the plan of any acquired entity. An Award may provide for the grant or issuance of additional, replacement or alternative Awards upon the occurrence of specified events. All or part of an Award may
be subject to conditions established by the Committee, which may include, but are not limited to, continuous service with the Corporation and its Affiliates, achievement of specific business objectives, increases in specified indices, attainment of specified growth rates, as referenced in clause (v) below, and other comparable measurements of performance. Upon the termination of employment by a Participant who is an Employee, any unexercised, deferred, unvested or unpaid Employee Awards shall be treated as set forth in the applicable Award Agreement or as otherwise specified by the Committee.
(i) Option. An Employee Award or Director Award may be in the form of an Option; provided that Options granted as Director Awards are not Incentive Stock Options. The Grant Price of an Option shall be not less than the Fair Market Value of that class of Common Stock subject to such Option on the Grant Date. Notwithstanding anything contrary contained in this Plan, in no event shall the term of the Option extend more than ten (10) years after the Grant Date. Options may not include provisions that “reload” the option upon exercise. Subject to the foregoing provisions, the terms, conditions and limitations applicable to any Options awarded to Participants pursuant to this Plan, including the Grant Price, the term of the Options, the number of shares subject to the Option and the date or dates upon which they become exercisable, shall be determined by the Committee.
(ii) Stock Appreciation Rights. An Employee Award may be in the form of an SAR. On the Grant Date, the Grant Price of an SAR shall be not less than the Fair Market Value of that class of Common Stock subject to such SAR. The holder of a tandem SAR may elect to exercise either the option or the SAR, but not both. The exercise period for an SAR shall extend no more than 10 years after the Grant Date. Subject to the foregoing provisions, the terms, conditions and limitations applicable to any SARs awarded pursuant to this Plan, including the Grant Price, the term of any SARs and the date or dates upon which they become exercisable, shall be determined by the Committee.
(iii) Stock Award. An Employee Award or Director Award may be in the form of a Stock Award. The terms, conditions and limitations applicable to any Stock Awards granted to Participants pursuant to this Plan shall be determined by the Committee; provided that any Stock Award granted as an Employee Award which is not a Performance Award shall have a minimum Restriction Period of three years from the Grant Date, provided that (i) the Committee may provide for earlier vesting upon the occurrence of certain events as set forth in the applicable Award Agreement or as otherwise specified by the Committee, (ii) such three-year minimum Restriction Period shall not apply to a Stock Award that is granted in lieu of salary or bonus, and (iii) vesting of a Stock Award may occur incrementally over the three-year minimum Restricted Period.
(iv) Cash Award. An Employee Award may be in the form of a Cash Award. The terms, conditions and limitations applicable to any Cash Awards granted pursuant to this Plan shall be determined by the Committee.
(v) Performance Award. Without limiting the type or number of Employee Awards or Director Awards that may be made under the other provisions of this Plan, an Employee Award or Director Award may be in the form of a Performance Award. The terms, conditions and limitations applicable to any Performance Awards granted to Participants pursuant to this Plan shall be determined by the Committee; provided that any Stock Award granted as an Employee Award which is a Performance Award shall have a minimum Restriction Period of one year from the Grant Date, provided that the Committee may provide for earlier vesting upon the occurrence of certain events as set forth in the applicable Award Agreement or as otherwise specified by the Committee. The Committee shall set Performance Goals in its discretion which, depending on the extent to which they are met, will determine the value and/or amount of Performance Awards that will be paid out to the Participant and/or the portion of an Award that may be exercised.
(A) Nonqualified Performance Awards. Performance Awards granted to Employees or Directors that are not intended to qualify as qualified performance-based compensation under Section 162(m) of the Code shall be based on achievement of such goals and be subject to such terms, conditions and restrictions as the Committee or its delegate shall determine.
(B) Qualified Performance Awards. Performance Awards granted to Employees under the Plan that are intended to qualify as qualified performance-based compensation under Section 162(m) of the Code shall be paid, vested or otherwise deliverable solely on account of the attainment of one or more pre-established, objective Performance Goals established by the Committee prior to the earlier to occur of (x) 90 days after the commencement of the period of service to which the Performance Goal relates and (y) the lapse of 25% of the period of service (as scheduled in good faith at the time the goal is established), and in any event while the outcome is substantially uncertain. A Performance Goal is objective if a third party having knowledge of the relevant facts could determine whether the goal is met. Such a Performance Goal may be based on one or more business criteria that apply to the Employee, one or more business units, divisions, or sectors of the Corporation, or the Corporation as a whole, and if so desired by the Committee, by comparison with a peer group of companies. A Performance Goal may include one or more of the following: Stock price measures (including but not limited to growth measures and total shareholder return); Earnings per share (actual or targeted growth); Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization (“EBITDA”); Economic value added (“EVA”); Net income measures (including but not limited to income after capital costs and income before or after taxes); Operating income; Cash flow measures; Return measures (including but not limited to return on average assets, risk-adjusted return on capital, and return on average equity); Operating measures (including sales volumes, production volumes
and production efficiency); Expense measures (including but not limited to overhead cost and general and administrative expense); Margins; and corporate values measures (including ethics compliance, environmental, and safety).
Unless otherwise stated, such a Performance Goal need not be based upon an increase or positive result under a particular business criterion and could include, for example, maintaining the status quo or limiting economic losses (measured, in each case, by reference to specific business criteria). In interpreting Plan provisions applicable to Performance Goals and Qualified Performance Awards, it is the intent of the Plan to conform with the standards of Section 162(m) of the Code and Treasury Regulation §1.162-27(e)(2)(i), as to grants to those Employees whose compensation is, or is likely to be, subject to Section 162(m) of the Code, and the Committee in establishing such goals and interpreting the Plan shall be guided by such provisions. Prior to the payment of any compensation based on the achievement of Performance Goals, the Committee must certify in writing that applicable Performance Goals and any of the material terms thereof were, in fact, satisfied. Subject to the foregoing provisions, the terms, conditions and limitations applicable to any Qualified Performance Awards made pursuant to this Plan shall be determined by the Committee.
(b) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Plan, the following limitations shall apply to any Employee Awards made hereunder:
(i) no Participant may be granted, during any fiscal year, Employee Awards consisting of Options or SARs (including Options or SARs that are granted as Performance Awards) that are exercisable for more than 200,000 shares of Common Stock;
(ii) no Participant may be granted, during any fiscal year, Employee Awards consisting of Stock Awards (including Stock Awards that are granted as Performance Awards) covering or relating to more than 100,000 shares of Common Stock (the limitation set forth in this clause (ii), together with the limitation set forth in clause (i) above and (c)(i) and (ii) below, being hereinafter collectively referred to as the “Stock Based Awards Limitations”); and
(iii) no Participant may be granted Employee Awards under this Plan consisting of cash (including Awards that are granted as Performance Awards) in respect of any fiscal year having a value determined on the Grant Date in excess of $3,000,000.
(c) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Plan the following limitations shall apply to any Director Awards made hereunder:
(i) no Participant may be granted, during any fiscal year, Director Awards consisting of Options that are exercisable for more than 25,000 shares of Common Stock and
(ii) no Participant may be granted, during any fiscal year, Director Awards consisting of Stock Awards covering or relating to more than 15,000 shares of Common Stock.
(d) Prior to the effective date of this amendment and restatement, certain awards on shares of Common Stock (the “Prior Awards”) had been granted under the Prior Plans as in effect from time to time. As of the effective date of the Existing Plan, each Prior Award continued to be outstanding and the shares of Common Stock that are the subject of such Prior Awards shall be subject to adjustment in accordance with Section 16 and to the other provisions of the Plan.
9. Change in Control Under Prior Plans. Unless otherwise expressly provided in the applicable award agreement, the change in control provisions under the Prior Plans shall govern the awards previously granted thereunder.
10. Non-United States Participants. The Committee may grant awards to persons outside the United States under such terms and conditions as may, in the judgment of the Committee, be necessary or advisable to comply with the laws of the applicable foreign jurisdictions and, to that end, may establish sub-plans, modified option exercise procedures and other terms and procedures. Notwithstanding the above, the Committee may not take any actions hereunder, and no Awards shall be granted, that would violate the Exchange Act, the Code, any securities law, any governing statute, or any other applicable law.
11. Payment of Awards.
(a) General. Payment made to a Participant pursuant to an Award may be made in the form of cash or Common Stock, or a combination thereof, and may include such restrictions as the Committee shall determine, including, in the case of Common Stock, restrictions on transfer and forfeiture provisions. If such payment is made in the form of Restricted Stock, the Committee shall specify whether the underlying shares are to be issued at the beginning or end of the Restriction Period. In the event that shares of Restricted Stock are to be issued at the beginning of the Restriction Period, the certificates evidencing such shares (to the extent that such shares are so evidenced) shall contain appropriate legends and restrictions that describe the terms and conditions of the restrictions applicable thereto. In the event that shares of Restricted Stock are to be issued at the end of the Restricted Period, the right to receive such shares shall be evidenced by book entry registration or in such other manner as the Committee may determine.
(b) Deferral. With the approval of the Committee, amounts payable in respect of Awards may be deferred and paid either in the form of installments or as a lump-sum payment. The Committee may permit selected Participants to elect to defer payments of some or all types of Awards or any other compensation otherwise payable by the
Corporation in accordance with procedures established by the Committee and may provide that such deferred compensation may be payable in shares of Common Stock. Any deferred payment pursuant to an Award, whether elected by the Participant or specified by the Award Agreement or the terms of the Award or by the Committee, may be forfeited if and to the extent that the Award Agreement or the terms of the Award so provide.
(c) Dividends, Earnings and Interest. Rights to dividends or Dividend Equivalents may be extended to and made part of any Stock Award, subject to such terms, conditions and restrictions as the Committee may establish. The Committee may also establish rules and procedures for the crediting of interest or other earnings on deferred cash payments and Dividend Equivalents for Stock Awards.
(d) Substitution of Awards. Subject to paragraphs 14 and 16, at the discretion of the Committee, a Participant who is an Employee may be offered an election to substitute an Employee Award for another Employee Award or Employee Awards of the same or different type.
12. Option Exercise. The Grant Price shall be paid in full at the time of exercise in cash or, if permitted by the Committee and elected by the optionee, the optionee may purchase such shares by means of tendering Common Stock or surrendering another Award, including Restricted Stock, valued at Fair Market Value on the date of exercise, or any combination thereof. The Committee shall determine acceptable methods for Participants to tender Common Stock or other Awards provided that any Common Stock that is or was the subject of an Award may be so tendered only if it has been held by the Participant for six months. The Committee may provide for procedures to permit the exercise or purchase of such Awards by use of the proceeds to be received from the sale of Common Stock issuable pursuant to an Award. Unless otherwise provided in the applicable Award Agreement, in the event shares of Restricted Stock are tendered as consideration for the exercise of an Option, a number of the shares issued upon the exercise of the Option, equal to the number of shares of Restricted Stock used as consideration therefor, shall be subject to the same restrictions as the Restricted Stock so submitted as well as any additional restrictions that may be imposed by the Committee. The Committee may adopt additional rules and procedures regarding the exercise of Options from time to time, provided that such rules and procedures are not inconsistent with the provisions of this paragraph.
An optionee desiring to pay the Grant Price of an Option by tendering Common Stock using the method of attestation may, subject to any such conditions and in compliance with any such procedures as the Committee may adopt, do so by attesting to the ownership of Common Stock of the requisite value in which case the Corporation shall issue or otherwise deliver to the optionee upon such exercise a number of shares of Common Stock subject to the Option equal to the result obtained by dividing (a) the excess of the aggregate Fair Market Value of the shares of Common Stock subject to the Option for which the Option (or portion thereof) is being exercised over the Grant Price payable in respect of such exercise by (b) the Fair Market Value per share of Common Stock subject to the Option, and the optionee may retain the shares of Common Stock the ownership of which is attested.
13. Taxes. The Corporation or its designated third party administrator shall have the right to deduct applicable taxes from any Employee Award payment and withhold, at the time of delivery or vesting of cash or shares of Common Stock under this Plan, an appropriate amount of cash or number of shares of Common Stock or a combination thereof for payment of taxes or other amounts required by law or to take such other action as may be necessary in the opinion of the Corporation to satisfy all obligations for withholding of such taxes. The Committee may also permit withholding to be satisfied by the transfer to the Corporation of shares of Common Stock theretofore owned by the holder of the Employee Award with respect to which withholding is required. If shares of Common Stock are used to satisfy tax withholding, such shares shall be valued based on the Fair Market Value when the tax withholding is required to be made. The Committee may provide for loans, to the extent not otherwise prohibited by law, on either a short term or demand basis, from the Corporation to a Participant who is an Employee to permit the payment of taxes required by law.
14. Amendment, Modification, Suspension or Termination of the Plan. The Board may amend, modify, suspend or terminate this Plan for the purpose of meeting or addressing any changes in legal requirements or for any other purpose permitted by law, except that (i) no amendment or alteration that would adversely affect the rights of any Participant under any Award previously granted to such Participant shall be made without the consent of such Participant and (ii) no amendment or alteration shall be effective prior to its approval by the stockholders of the Corporation to the extent such approval is required by applicable legal requirements or the requirements of the securities exchange on which the Corporation’s Common Stock is listed.
15. Assignability. Unless otherwise determined by the Committee and provided in the Award Agreement or the terms of the Award, no Award or any other benefit under this Plan shall be assignable or otherwise transferable except by will, by beneficiary designation or the laws of descent and distribution or pursuant to a qualified domestic relations order as defined by the Code or Title I of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act, or the rules thereunder. In the event that a beneficiary designation conflicts with an assignment by will, the beneficiary designation will prevail. The Committee may prescribe and include in applicable Award Agreements or the terms of the Award other restrictions on transfer. Any attempted assignment of an Award or any other benefit under this Plan in violation of this paragraph 15 shall be null and void.
(a) The existence of outstanding Awards shall not affect in any manner the right or power of the Corporation or its stockholders to make or authorize any or all adjustments, recapitalizations, reorganizations or other changes in the capital stock of the Corporation or its business or any merger or consolidation of the Corporation, or any issue of bonds, debentures, preferred or prior preference stock (whether or not such issue is prior to, on a parity with or junior to the existing Common Stock) or the dissolution or liquidation of the Corporation, or any sale or transfer of all or any part of its assets or business, or any other corporate act or proceeding of any kind, whether or not of a character similar to that of the acts or proceedings enumerated above.
(b) In the event of any subdivision or consolidation of outstanding shares of Common Stock, declaration of a dividend payable in shares of Common Stock or other stock split, then (i) the number of shares of Common Stock reserved under this Plan and available for issuance pursuant to specific types of Awards as described in paragraph 5, (ii) the number of shares of Common Stock covered by outstanding Awards, (iii) the Grant Price or other price in respect of such Awards, (iv) the appropriate Fair Market Value and other price determinations for such Awards, and (v) the Stock Based Awards Limitations shall each be proportionately adjusted by the Board as appropriate to reflect such transaction. In the event of any other recapitalization or capital reorganization of the Corporation, any consolidation or merger of the Corporation with another corporation or entity, the adoption by the Corporation of any plan of exchange affecting Common Stock or any distribution to holders of Common Stock of securities or property (including special cash dividends but not normal cash dividends or dividends payable in Common Stock), the Board shall make appropriate adjustments to (x) the number of shares of Common Stock reserved under this Plan and (y)(i) the number of shares of Common Stock covered by Awards, (ii) the Grant Price or other price in respect of such Awards, (iii) the appropriate Fair Market Value and other price determinations for such Awards, and (iv) the Stock Based Awards Limitations to reflect such transaction; provided that such adjustments shall only be such as are necessary to maintain the proportionate interest of the holders of the Awards and preserve, without increasing, the value of such Awards. In the event of a corporate merger, consolidation, acquisition of property or stock, separation, reorganization or liquidation, the Board shall be authorized (x) to assume under the Plan previously issued compensatory awards, or to substitute new Awards for previously issued compensatory awards, including Awards, as part of such adjustment; (y) to cancel Awards that are Options or SARs and give the Participants who are the holders of such Awards notice and opportunity to exercise for 30 days prior to such cancellation; or (z) to cancel any such Awards and to deliver to the Participants cash in an amount that the Committee shall determine in its sole discretion is equal to the fair market value of such Awards on the date of such event, which in the case of Options or SARs shall be the excess of the Fair Market Value of Common Stock on such date over the exercise or strike price of such Award.
17. Restrictions. No Common Stock or other form of payment shall be issued with respect to any Award unless the Corporation shall be satisfied based on the advice of its counsel that such issuance will be in compliance with applicable federal and state securities laws. Certificates evidencing shares of Common Stock delivered under this Plan (to the extent that such shares are so evidenced) may be subject to such stop transfer orders and other restrictions as the Committee may deem advisable under the rules, regulations and other requirements of the Securities and Exchange Commission, any securities exchange or transaction reporting system upon which the Common Stock is then listed or to which it is admitted for quotation and any applicable federal or state securities law. The Committee may cause a legend or legends to be placed upon such certificates (if any) to make appropriate reference to such restrictions.
18. Unfunded Plan. This Plan shall be unfunded. Although bookkeeping accounts may be established with respect to Participants under this Plan, any such accounts shall be used merely as a bookkeeping convenience, including bookkeeping accounts established by a third
party administrator retained by the Corporation to administer the Plan. The Corporation shall not be required to segregate any assets for purposes of this Plan or Awards hereunder, nor shall the Corporation, the Board or the Committee be deemed to be a trustee of any benefit to be granted under this Plan. Any liability or obligation of the Corporation to any Participant with respect to an Award under this Plan shall be based solely upon any contractual obligations that may be created by this Plan and any Award Agreement or the terms of the Award, and no such liability or obligation of the Corporation shall be deemed to be secured by any pledge or other encumbrance on any property of the Corporation. Neither the Corporation nor the Board nor the Committee shall be required to give any security or bond for the performance of any obligation that may be created by this Plan.
19. Right to Employment. Nothing in the Plan or an Award Agreement shall interfere with or limit in any way the right of the Corporation to terminate any Participant’s employment or other service relationship at any time, nor confer upon any Participant any right to continue in the capacity in which he or she is employed or otherwise serves the Corporation.
20. Successors. All obligations of the Corporation under the Plan with respect to Awards granted hereunder shall be binding on any successor to the Corporation, whether the existence of such successor is the result of a direct or indirect purchase, merger, consolidation, or otherwise, of all or substantially all of the business and/or assets of the Corporation.
22. Effectiveness and Term. The Existing Plan is amended and restated in its entirety as set forth herein effective as of July 27, 2004. All Awards granted on June 26, 2004, July 27, 2004, and August 4, 2004 shall be deemed to be granted in Class A Common Stock. No Award shall be made ten years after January 8, 2004.