WISCONSIN ENERGY CORPORATION
2003 Committee Charter : WEC
CORPORATE GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE
OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Adopted: October 30, 1996; Revised: December 10, 2002
The principal purpose of the Corporate Governance Committee (Committee) is to (i) establish
and review the Company's Corporate Governance Guidelines to ensure the Board is effectively
performing its fiduciary responsibilities to stockholders, (ii) identify and recommend candidates
to be named as nominees of the Board for election as directors, and (iii) lead the Board in its
annual review of the Board's performance. The Committee shall report all significant findings to
The Committee shall be comprised of three or more independent directors who are periodically
appointed by the Board. Members shall serve at the pleasure of the Board and for such term or
terms as the Board may determine. One of the directors shall be appointed Committee Chair for
a term to be determined by the Board. In the event the Committee Chair is unable to serve as
Chair for a specific meeting, he/she shall designate one of the Committee members to preside.
The Committee shall meet as often as desired to accomplish the duties and responsibilities listed
below, but not less than once per year.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Establish and annually assess the appropriateness and effectiveness of the Board's Corporate
Governance Guidelines; recommend changes to the Board.
· Oversee the evaluation of the Board. Conduct an annual assessment of the Board's
effectiveness as a whole.
· Produce and provide to the Board an annual performance evaluation of the Committee. The
evaluation shall compare the performance of the Committee with the requirements of this
Charter. Recommend to the Board any improvements to the Charter.
· Establish and annually review director candidate selection criteria.
· Conduct a search for director candidates to fill vacancies on the Board and establish a slate of
nominees for election by stockholders.
· Have sole authority to retain and terminate any search firm to be used to identify director
candidates, including sole authority to approve the search firm's fees and other retention
· Meet with, screen and review the qualifications of candidates for election as directors,
including candidates proposed by stockholders, directors, employees and others.
· Review the performance of the incumbent directors whose terms are expiring prior to
recommending to the Board the nominees for election at the annual meeting.
· Recommend to the Board candidates to be named as nominees of the Board for election as
· The Committee shall also be responsible for any other matters as may from time to time be
requested by the Board of Directors and/or the Chief Executive Officer.
· The Committee may, in its discretion, delegate all or a portion of its duties and
responsibilities to a subcommittee of the Committee.